David B. Ricard / 2018 / 80 min.
While filming his native land, David B. Ricard is entrusted with the task of documenting the creating process of a show of poetry and music across the Canadian Francophonie. This project gives him the opportunity to question the relationship to rooting (land, language), adaptation (poetry, territory) and the process of relationship with the other (team, subject). In this documentary essay, the filmmaker questions his own point of view as a Quebec documentarist. He explores these themes formally inspired by the poem Le Vivant by Carl Lacharité, driving force of the project.
- Director David B. Ricard
- Year 2018
- Length 80 min.
- Genre Documentary
- Versions Original French version with English subtitles
- Sound Stereo
- Available formats Apple Pro Res 422 HQ
Cast & Crew
- Director, David B. Ricard
- Screenplay, David B. Ricard
- Cinematographer, Claudia Kedney-Bolduc / Simon Dumas / Julie Pelletier / David B. Ricard
- Editor, Jean-Philippe Gagnon
- Sound, Ariane Lehoux / Érick d'Orion
- Sound design & Sound mix, Julien Éclancher
- Music, Érick d'Orion
- Cast, David B. Ricard / Érick d’Orion / Simon Dumas / Jean-Yves Fréchette / Claudia Kedney-Bolduc / Ariane Lehoux / Carl Lacharité
Back in Quebec City, he directed his first documentary essay (Surfer sur la grâce). This film guided him to discover his own creation process. He found the purpose of his cinema: to allow self-learning by viewing the recording of the past and to gain access to other people by the use of dialogue. David also collaborated with Les Songes turbulents and the theatre director Florent Siaud (Quartett, 4.48 Psychose, Les Enivrés). He found there a new way of exploration for the medium, which pushed him to develop the live aspect of cinema. Live experimentation and improvisation are now main parts of his personal projects. With these parameters in mind he created the show The Kodak of my great-grandfather, a documentary-theatre project mixing family storytelling, musical performance, and 8mm projections (directed by Valery Drapeau).
- 2018 -
Festival de Cinéma de la Ville de Québec, Canada
- 2019 -
FIFA – Festival International du Film d’Art, Canada
Surfing on grace
The sex of others
She casted me a spell
|2016||Surfing on grace||60 min.||Documentaire|
|2011||The sex of others||22 min.||Fiction|
|2007||She casted me a spell||15 min.||Fiction|